Another day gives way to another exclusive collaboration. This season’s designer for swedish retailer H&M is Maison Martin Margiela, a French Fashion House that has always followed its own path, often outside the conventional fashion framework. Constantly questioning the norms of fashion and presenting its pieces through the technique of deconstruction and transformation, Margiela’s collections reinvent volumes, modify shapes, change the original use and movement of garments, and derail traditional notions of fashion.
“We are very happy to present Maison Martin Margiela pieces with H&M, to offer a new interpretation of our vision. The democracy of our fashion has always been at the center of our creativity, and the collaboration with H&M allows us to push this instinct further. We will bring together the contrasting universes of the two houses in ways that will surprise everyone” – Maison Martin Margiela
Maison Martin Margiela is presenting a collection called RE-EDITION, featuring garments from previous seasons. The collection will be sold in 230 stores worldwide and online where available. Each piece is labeled with a unique tag indicating the season from which it originated, spanning 23 years since the founding of Maison. The most iconic pieces from the archive have been reproduced in updated shapes and materials. The collection includes both women’s and men’s apparel, shoes and accessories.
“Maison Martin Margiela is one of the most important and influential fashion houses of the past three decades. I am so excited by this radical collaboration, which will give fashion lovers around the world the chance to wear special pieces by Maison Martin Margiela. This collaboration will be an exciting and memorable fashion moment“, says Margareta van den Bosch, Creative Advisor at H&M.
Even though the collection does not launch at selected H&M stores until November 15, a launch party was held in NYC and the line was made available for purchase to members of the press. Not surprisingly, based upon previous collaborations such as Versace, Marni, Lanvin and Italian designer Roberto Cavalli, pieces are already listed on E-Bay at 8-10x the original price.
- Hitched Up Dress: $199, Key Ring Necklace: $59.95, Plexi Wedge Boot: $399
- Circle Shirt: $79.95, Trouser Skirt: $99, Glove Bag: $49.95
- Duvet Coat: $349, Mirrored Leggings: $39, Plexi Wedge: $299
- Horizontal Dress: $199, Plexi Wedge Boot: $399, Glove Clutch: $149
- Darted Sweater: $129, Fusion of Two Dresses: $199, Knee-High Leather Boot: $299
- Oversized Turtleneck: $149, Oversized Trousers: $129, Glove Clutch: $149
- Oversized Jacket: $199, Circle Shirt: $79.95, Fusion of Skirt and Trouser: $99
- Oversized Turtleneck: $149, Key Ring Necklace: $59.95, Hitched Up Skirt: $99
- Reversed Coat: $399, Top: $49.95, Suit Trousers: $99
- Leather Shirt: $349, Painted Jeans: $99, Guitar Shaped Weekender: $399
- Mirrored Tuxedo Jacket: $199, Fusion of Two Shirts: $99, Suit Trousers: $99
- Suit Jacket: $129, Suit Trousers: $99, Scarves Sweater: $99
- Fusion of Several Coats: $199, Suit Trousers: $99, Boots: $299
Now the part you have been waiting for. Click through the slide gallery to see the entire lookbook with pieces from both the women’s and men’s collection. Expect to see oversized pieces in masculine shapes adjusted to fit the female body. Highlights include a narrow-shouldered jacket, fitted jackets and a biker-style jacket with tailored details. My favorites include the asymmetrical hitched red dress, the and the plexi wedge heel booties as seen on the runways at Fashion Week.
Go Behind the Scenes of the Maison Martin Margiela with H&M Fashion Campaign