On Monday, May 5th The Met Gala, often called the “Oscars of Fashion“, took place at the newly named Anna Wintour Costume Center at the Met Museum in NYC. This event takes place to launch the new exhibit called Charles James: Beyond Fashion. Approximately seventy-five of James’s most notable designs will be presented in two locations—the new Lizzie and Jonathan Tisch Gallery in the Anna Wintour Costume Center as well as special exhibition galleries on the Museum’s first floor.
Anna Wintour announced the dress code for the 2014 Met Gala would be “White Tie and Decorations“. James was selected to be the muse for this year’s exhibit as he is best known for his iconic ball gowns and what better way to walk a red carpet than in a ball gown or a white tuxedo as was seen on David Beckham, Joshua Jackson and Jay-Z.
In the slide show I have picked my top 20 favorite looks from Actresses, Music Stars, Models and more. My standout favorite of the night for both Best Dressed and who epitomized Charles James and his designs was Sarah Jessica Parker in a black and white Oscar de la Renta custom couture gown with a signature train. I also must give a nod to the 3 models in the photo who really followed through on the theme of the evening in stunning ball gowns that will be remembered and talked about for quite some time to come. Those models are Arizona Muse in a Ralph & Russo red strapless gown, Liu Wen who wore Zac Posen and Karolina Kurkova in Marchesa.
- Sarah Jessica Parker wore a voluminous black and white Oscar de la Renta gown and Fred Leighton jewels.
- Rihanna is white haute in this two-piece ensemble by Stella McCartney and Jacob & Co. necklace
- Taylor Swift is pretty in pink wearing an Oscar de la Renta gown.
- Amber Heard wore a Giambattista Valli haute couture gown and Fred Leighton Jewelry.
- Gossip Girl Blake Lively exudes old Hollywood glamour in this Gucci Premiere gown.
- Hailee Steinfeld wears the monochromatic black and white trend with this Prabal Gurung gown.
- Nashville Star Hayden Panettiere walked the red carpet in this strapless flowing gown by Couturier Dennis Basso.
- Victoria Beckham wore white to match to her husband David Beckham in her namesake label Victoria Beckham.
- Jessica Pare in a Michael Kors floral strapless gown with a Roger Vivier bag.
- Twilight star Kristen Stewart shimmered in a black Chanel illusion gown.
- Reese Witherspoon chose a bold pink strapless gown by Stella McCartney.
- Model Liu Wen hit the mark with this teal Zac Posen gorgeous gown
- Queen Bey, Beyonce, rocks the red carpet in sheer black lace Givenchy Couture.
- Charlize Theron looks amazing in a Dior Couture gown with a chic tuxedo jacket and Fred Leighton jewels.
- Kendall Jenner wowed the crowd in her bespoke Topshop mermaid strapless gown.
- Model Arizona Muse is everything in this strapless red Ralph & Russo gown. Perfection.
- Model Karlie Kloss chose a strapless brocade gown by Oscar de la Renta.
- Model Karolina Kurkova is the very definition of a ball gown stunning in a one shoulder voluminous gown by Marchesa
- British Model Suki Waterhouse in a custom Burberry tulle layered gown.
- Selena Gomez added a bold lip to her Versace gown with a plunging neckline.
To see all the looks and the complete fashion breakdown click through the slide show and be sure to follow me on Twitter for more updates. The exhibit is open to the public from May 8 – August 10, 2014. For more details about viewing the Charles James exhibit visit metmuseum.org.
Photos: Getty Images