The Met Gala has been called the “Oscars of Fashion” and the “Fashion Prom” by celebrity stylists and one look at the red carpetarrivals says it all. On Monday, May 4, 2015 celebrities and media came together to celebrate and raise money for the exhibit “China: Through the Looking Glass” at the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute. Since this is Chair Anna Wintour’s star-studded event she and daughter Bee Shaffer were the first to walk the impressive red carpet. Anna went with the color of the night in a red floral custom gown from Chanel’s spring 2015 Haute Couture collection and Bee wore an asian-inspired gown with a cherry blossom design by Alexander McQueen.
So who made the red carpet a memorable one? Sarah Jessica Parker had us gawking through the looking glass at her red and silver Philip Treacy headdress worn with a custom designed gown from H&M. Rihanna immediately blew up social media when she arrived with four handlers to carry the longest train on the carpet, wearing a fur-trimmed yellow cape by Beijing-based designer Guo Pei, whose fashion can be seen as part of the exhibit.
I would be remiss if I did not give an honorable mention to the trend of the night which was sheer genius. Arriving 90 minutes late and literally shutting down the red carpet was Queen Bey Beyoncé wearing a Givenchy see-through gown in which every single sequin was strategically placed to cover in all the right places. Also donning the sheer see-through trend was Jennifer Lopez who gave us side butt in a red Versace Atelier gown featuring a sequin dragon design. Kim Kardashian West also ditched the undergarments for a sheer white embroidered sequined gown by Roberto Cavalli.
Both Katy Perry and Madonna saw the writing on the wall (or the gown) wearing custom designed gowns with graffiti scribbles designed by Jeremy Scott for Moschino who accompanied both celebrities to the Met Gala.
Then there was “IT” girl Kendall Jenner whose side boob was snapped by the photographers in an emerald moment wearing a crystal encrusted gown from the Calvin Klein collection.
- Beyoncé shuts it down wearing sheer Givenchy with carefully placed sequins and Lorraine Schwartz jewelry.
- Event Chair Anna Wintour chose a custom gown from the Chanel Spring 2015 haute couture collection.
- Anne Hathaway in a hooded golden gown from the Ralph Lauren Collection and Repossi jewelry.
- Ivanka Trump looked regal in this royal blue Prabal Gurung gown with a cascading white train and Cindy Chao jewelry.
- Allison Williams in Giambattista Valli Haute Couture gown with Mariela Montiel by Unuezter shoes and Fred Leighton jewels.
- Glee Star Dianna Agron is wearing a gown, small clutch, and shoes by designer Tory Burch with Fred Leighton jewelry.
- Jennifer Lawrence stuns in this Dior Haute Couture cutout gown, Roger Vivier shoes, and Cartier jewels.
- Jennifer Lopez sizzles in a sheer Atelier Versace dress, Swarovski clutch, Sutra earrings, a Harry Kotlar and an Ivy ring.
- Sarah Jessica Parker in a custom made H&M dress, Philip Treacy headpiece and Cindy Chao jewelry.
- Jessica Chastain is a golden goddess in a gold Givenchy gown and Piaget jewelry.
- Katie Holmes with a bob wig wearing a cutout Zac Posen gown, Roger Vivier shoes and custom bag, and Chopard jewelry.
- Katy Perry made a statement in this Moschino gown and gloves by Jeremy Scott.
- Kendall Jenner is a gem in this emerald crystal encrusted gown by Calvin Klein Collection and Chopard jewelry.
- Kim Kardashian walked the red carpet in a sheer see-through embroidered gown from Roberto Cavalli by Peter Dundas.
- 29 year old Performer Lady Gaga is wearing black and white custom Balenciaga by Alexander Wang.
- Madonna wrote her own script in this black strapless gown by Moschino with Rebel Heart scribbled on the front.
- Reese Witherspoon is showing some leg in a Jason Wu red dress, Charlotte Olympia heels, and Tiffany & Co jewels.
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is shimmering in Atelier Versace gown, Christian Louboutin shoes, and Anita Ko jewelry.
- Modern Family Star Sofia Vergara is just lovely in a flowing strapless Marchesa gown with Lorraine Schwartz jewelry.
- Bee Shaffer in an Asian-inspired Alexander McQueen gown accented with cherry blossoms.
Click through the slideshow to see all the best and most outrageous fashion moments from the 2015 Met Gala.
Photos: Getty Images